Actually it takes more than grumbling. We need a taxpayers' revolution in this country. We need to scream bloody murder every april 15, and everytime the house passes a tax bill, and everytime the senate concurs, and everytime the prez signs one of the damn things into law, and everytime the courts uphold one.
Abuse a government employee today.
Do you know of even 1 elected official who can justify even 50% of our tax burden? How many taxes can you justify to your mother (that she pays either directly or indirectly)?
- "The Eiffel Tower is the Empire State Building after taxes."–(anonymous, source unknown)
- "People often say death and taxes are the same, but this is wrong. Death is a taxable event, but taxes never die."–(anonymous, source unknown)
- "Governments last as long as the undertaxed can defend themselves from the overtaxed."–Bernard Berenson
- "The fundamental class division in any society is not between rich and poor, or between farmers and city dwellers, but between tax payers and tax consumers."–David Boaz
- "To tax and to please, no more than to love and to be wise, is not given to men."–Edmund Burke
- "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."–Winston Churchill
- "For every benefit you receive a tax is levied."–Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money."–Arthur Godfrey
- "The power to tax involves the power to destroy."–John Marshall
- "The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much."–Ronald Reagan
- "We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough. We have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much."–Ronald Reagan
- "History shows that when the taxes of a nation approach about 20% of the people's income, there begins to be a lack of respect for government... When it reaches 25%, there comes an increase in lawlessness."–Ronald Reagan
- "The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."–Will Rogers
- "The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin."–Mark Twain
- "The people are hungry: It is because those in authority eat up too much in taxes."–Lao Tzu
- "What we should have fought for was representation without taxation."-Sam Levenson
Wikiquote.org on "taxation"